14 Apr ATLAS ADVISORS ADVISED KAGOME ON THE ACQUISITION OF PREFERRED BRAND INTERNATIONAL/TASTY BITE BRAND
ATLAS ADVISORS ADVISED KAGOME ON THE ACQUISITION OF PREFERRED BRAND INTERNATIONAL/TASTY BITE BRAND
Announced on April 14, 2015, Kagome Co. Limited (“Kagome”) closed on the 70% acquisition of Preferred Brands International Inc. (“PBI” or the “Company”) for $80.2 MM on May 18, 2015. Atlas Advisors acted as exclusive financial advisor to Kagome in the transactions.
The co-founders and management group is retaining a 30% stake in PBI, and an open offer is concurrently being launched for Tasty Bite Eatables Limited (“TBEL”), the publicly listed Indian subsidiary of PBI.
Transaction highlights and rationale:
- PBI’s Tasty Bite brand is the leading ready-to-serve Indian cuisine brand in the US
- PBI is a leading supplier to the food service industry in India
- PBI’s high level of marketing strength and extensive U.S. sales network will enable Kagome to leverage its product portfolio creating value in addition to the growth of the existing business
- PBI’s advanced production facilities and advanced R&D capability will give Kagome a significant synergistic effect, including streamlining the product portfolios for existing business and enhancing the collaborative sales growth strategy
The Company through its subsidiaries manufactures and markets all natural ready-to-serve ethnic food products that require no cooking, contain no preservatives and require no refrigeration: “heat and eat”. Offering a range of food products, including ready-to-eat Indian and Asian entrées, Asian noodles, Organic rice and cooking sauces. The Company markets its products in North America, Australia, U.K. and Japan under the “Tasty Bite” brand name.
The Company also develops and manufactures food products for institutional food service providers in India, such as hotels, quick-service restaurants, catering institutions and other retail and corporate customers.
PBI is founded in 1985 and headquartered in Stamford Connecticut, manufactured in Pune, India through TBEL.
TBEL manufactures and markets ready-to-serve ethnic food products. The products require no cooking, have no preservatives and require no refrigeration. Offering a range of food products, including ready-to-eat Indian and Asian entrées, cooking sauces, and meal inspirations, as well as various types of rice.
Products are marketed under the ‘Tasty Bite’ brand name. The Company markets its products in North America and Australia through its associated enterprises Preferred Brands International and Preferred Brands Australia.
TBEL also develops and manufactures food products for institutional users, such as hotels, quick-service restaurants, catering institutions, and other retail and corporate customers. TBEL operates in India, North America, Australia, New Zealand and the U.K., and was founded in 1985 and headquartered in Pune, India.
This transaction highlights several of Atlas Advisors’ key strengths:
- An emphasis on top-notch deal execution and strategically-oriented client relationships: Atlas Advisors principals originally advised H J Heinz in its joint ventures with relation to Kagome
- In-depth knowledge and experience in advising on and executing cross-border transactions
- Expert positioning and execution in the consumer sector in general, and in the consumer retail brands industry in particular
- Ability to deliver maximum value to shareholders through consummate execution
Other Atlas Advisors transaction assignments in Asia include McCain’s sale of its leading Taiwanese frozen dumpling business, Long Fong; Talpa/Dasym’s (formerly Cyrte) licensing agreement with Zhejiang TV/Star Media for China’s leading TV program, The voice of China; formation of China media joint venture between Dasym (formerly Cyrte) and AMT Capital; Minit Asia Pacific’s sale of its Canadian business, Minit Canada; Protostar’s private placement of convertible preferred stock to NIA Investment and Red Shift Ventures.
Atlas Advisors is the marketing name for Atlas Advisors, LLC and Atlas Strategic Advisors, LLC. Atlas Strategic Advisors, LLC provides financial advisory services in connection with mergers, acquisitions and other similar transactions. Atlas Strategic Advisors, LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlas Advisors, LLC and a member of the FINRA.
None of the information contained in this release constitutes a recommendation, solicitation or offer by Atlas Strategic Advisors, LLC or its affiliates to buy or sell any securities, futures, options or other financial instruments or provide any investment advice or service.